Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wed, day 3 in the studio!

Oh man, what a blessing it is to be here.  Working with Henry and Rachel has been such an incredible experience for me and Mike.  Right now, Henry is recording the bass parts for Shades of Red.  It really sounds like a dream.  Mike is in there with him, helping to direct the 'feels and swells' of things.  Although we have been missing our usual musical crew.. Phil, Kiley, Raph and Jonas...  it has been really awesome to work with Spencer (drums, you may or may not know him from his work with The Breaks) and of course Henry. 

I feel like I personally have been learning so much.  There seems to be no stupid question to Henry or Rachel.  Recording on tape is rad.  I love that because the tape is limited, we just have to play it with our hearts.  It changes things not having the endless takes that one can do digitally.  I also see that I may be getting a glimpse of Mike's increasing talent to produce.  He's really tapping into a whole new galaxy it seems.. a new method of recording to which is really exciting.  For me, as a late-comer to making music, I feel like I finally have tapped into a confidence with my voice.  A goal that I set for myself prior to coming here was to speak up when I hear harmonies.  Last night I did this for the first time!  Last night was also the first time Rachel did some working with the reels of tape.. after Henry went to sleep.  So~~~  amazing that we all get to grow together.


It's a really incredible experience also to work so intimately with Mike and Rachel together.  We have a really beautiful and honest dynamic.  Creatively, intellectually and spiritually.  We help each other see and grow.   Opposed to our last recording at Drexel.. so connected the illness of my dad..  this experience is significantly more open for me.. to really put my energies with the music. 

A class of students just came in to work with songwriting with Henry.  I've been really excited for them to come in.  I am going to go up and hang out with them.  I'll write more later!

Thanks for reading this blog, and thank you SO much for helping us have the opportunity to record here.  It may be one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life..

Love,
Barbara.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you all are getting this experience--it sounds like a very valuable one. Work hard, take some risks, and I can't wait to see what comes out. That is a damn fine looking studio. Thinking of you my friends and your growing talents. --smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, man! Smith.. thank you. Definitely challenging ourselves and reaching the most beautiful of places. hope you're well!
    xo, b.

    ReplyDelete